Psalm

Put your hope in the Lord. Travel steadily along His path.
Psalm 37:34

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Praise in All Circumstances - New Chemo Time

I received notice last week that our prayers to heal the cdiff infection were answered.
In the dressing room at Dillards I repeated "Thank you Jesus" over and over. The poor sales lady probably thought I'd just found the perfect pair of jeans.

With this good news, we were able to pack up and go to Texas to spend Thanksgiving with my family. We enjoyed a precious week with them. Even with an extra day due to an ice storm, our time there was over much too quickly.

During our stay, my oncologist office phoned to schedule my new chemo regimen. On December 9, I will begin treatment. Once every 21 days, I will go to the cancer center in Phoenix to receive my Avastin infusion. I will also be taking a chemo called Cytoxan once a day via an oral pill. I have done this same regimen before and remember well the side effects. Let's just say, the memories are not fond ones. I will be spending alot of time "home bound" due to low white blood counts. Especially this time of year, being around large crowds of people can be very dangerous. Even a slight cold can turn critical quickly. I have been stocking up on Christmas movies, coloring books and e-books to keep myself entertained.

While in Texas, I had to have one of the hardest conversations I've ever had with my Dad. I have been working on my Living Will and Medical Power of Attorney. I have to have two people who are willing and able to execute my Advanced Directives if the time comes when I cannot advocate for myself. Jay, of course, is my primary advocate. I want my second advocate to be my Daddy. So, with tears in both our eyes, I asked....he agreed. After a long, teary hug, we do what we Durr's do best. Shake it off, man up and move forward.

Now begins the physical, mental and spiritual preparations. The tumors are growing. There are two that I can see through the skin in my abdomen. One has been present for a while. It has just been in the last week that we are able to see the second one. They are growing larger and the pain is growing stronger. We have been working to control the pain, but it will be a trial and error process.

As we proceed next week, as always, we covet your prayers. Thank you to all our prayer warriors. We thank God for you and we give Him glory in all circumstances.

Blessings,
Mandy

4 comments:

  1. Prayers for you, Mandy, as you approach and walk through this coming season...may your heart and head and hope be filled with so much more than what your eyes see! May God's presence rest strongly on you, a peace and strength, as you heal, cell by cell. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the beautiful prayer & thoughts, Adrienne!

      Delete
  2. Mandy I cannot put it into words.........but my heart is overflowing........for both of you......you and Jay are super .......examples to all....beyond love...beyond understanding......brothers in Christ forever. Paul

    ReplyDelete