Psalm

Put your hope in the Lord. Travel steadily along His path.
Psalm 37:34

Friday, August 19, 2016

Deep Breaths

Deep breaths!!
The past few days have been a blur of paperwork, medical equipment, nurses and doctors.
Jay and I have glazed over eyes, dumbstruck expressions on our faces and true sensory overload.

On Tuesday, my sweet doctor made the call we didn't want to make - she called hospice. Within a few hours of returning home, hospice was calling us. We scheduled the admission for Thursday.

My case nurse and an administrator arrived at our home with sweet smiles and soft spirits. At the kitchen table - where all important discussions are required to take place - we talked about the ins and outs of all things hospice. My new team, which is comprised of my doctor, nurses, wound care nurse, CNA's, pastoral care, social workers and volunteers will now manage every aspect of my care from now on. They will work closely with Jay and I to ensure that we can focus on living well, spend time together and with family, and do the things we want to do.

We had many decisions to make in a short period of time:
* Where will the hospital bed go? We chose the master bedroom next to our bed. Even though the hospital bed will be physically easier for me, it will be very difficult not sleeping next to Jay every night. We pushed the beds as close together as possible so we can still hold hands and talk before drifting off to sleep each night.
* Oxygen Concentrator?  It's not an imminent need at this time, however, as a result of my tumor pushing toward my diaphragm and lungs, I can occasionally become short of breath. This will continue to worsen, and it is comforting knowing we have oxygen close by when needed.
* Walker? On a good day, I can be a bit of a clumsy ogre. Now that we live in a home with primarily tile floors, it is probably a wise idea - especially for the days when my energy and coordination are both low.

Today, my case nurse and my wound care nurse came to our home to assess the tumor. Since completing radiation, there have been no bleeding episodes - THANK YOU JESUS!
The wound, nevertheless, grows larger and erodes more and more of the tumor and surrounding tissue every day. The goal of wound care is to apply just the right combination of treatments and dressings to prevent future bleeding and infections. Both nurses said that my tumor looked clean and really good. I guess in the world of ulcerating/fungating tumors, that's kind of a big deal.
My wound care nurse showed us exactly how she wanted the wound treated and dressed. It's a fairly extensive process so Jay will play a major role in helping with this twice a day. The nurse asked him if he felt comfortable with this. He just smiled sweetly (ok, he smirked a little), and said he could handle it. After 20+ years of being a cancer care-giver, Jay can do this in his sleep.

When everyone left today and I saw all of this equipment strewn around, it hit me. This is really happening. It felt and still feels so surreal. My house looks like a hospital - ok - maybe not quite that bad, but pretty close. For the love of everything, there's a chair in my shower.

All of these things are stark reminders that I'm dying. I've been trying to process it all day today, but I'm still in a bit of a fog. I know that we will adjust to the new changes quickly - we always do. This is simply another stepping stone on our journey.

Even in the midst of glazed over eyes and what seems to be too much happening too fast, there will be mercy and grace. We will give our disorientation over to Jesus and allow Him to make sense of it for us. HIS sense, not the world's sense.
The world says none of this makes sense; cancer doesn't make sense; people dying young doesn't make sense.
JESUS says: All of this, I will work out together for GOOD; JESUS says, Come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest; JESUS says, this world is not your home - you're a pilgrim traveling through to your true home...HEAVEN!!

Blessings,
Mandy

35 comments:

  1. I think of you and Jay often. You are both in our prayers. Much love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We send you our love and prayers. We pray for God to wrap His loving arms around you and give you peace. It is so hard for us to understand. I know 4 u2.Love Carol and Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  3. We send you our love and prayers. We pray for God to wrap His loving arms around you and give you peace. It is so hard for us to understand. I know 4 u2.Love Carol and Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing life and death through eyes of faith is one of God's greatest gifts. Thankful that He's gifted you in that area immensely. Love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your spirit moves me, your courage inspires me, your strength and love humble me. Your living example of courage, strength love and humility in the face of adversity is a gift you and Jay have given that will inspire and motivate our family for many generations to come. Now that is the essence of Leadership. Love you both dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Usually redecorating is supposed to be fun...I'm sorry and hate that it's not!

    I love the part where you said, "At the kitchen table - where all important discussions are required to take place..." Mandy, "table" is a word God put on my heart when we sold most of our stuff and started this journey 2 yrs ago. As I watched my kitchen table find its new home at a friend's house, I thought about how many conversations had already taken place around it and how many more would be shared. Anything and everything is shared at the table, even the outbursts of kids and the "inappropriate" things. And at the same time I'm in awe of Jesus and His gracious example of sitting at tables, gathering folks around, being the Guest at the homes questionable hosts, and I wonder what their conversations entailed. I wish I could sit at your table with you and Jay and meet you face to face. I'm grateful we have gotten to meet heart to heart via online. You guys are in my prayers and thoughts a lot! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how the Holy Spirit works within you! I'm also thankful our hearts had the chance to meet!! ❤️

      Delete
  7. Both of you are in my thoughts and prayers. You are truly Blessed to have each other. We did the same with the beds! Just keep making memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers for you and your family. Thanks you for reminding us of the preciousness of life with Jesus and what's truly important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers my sweet sister. You are such a rock of faith through all of this that it humbles me to think, "Oh, I wish I could be like her". I LOVE YOU, SISTA! I still pray for healing!!! "OH LORD, Please heal Mandy of this wretched cancer and allow her to come to you on different terms being cancer free, if it be your will. Continue to give her the strength and courage to fight and to keep her faith. May she feel your love and the love of all those lifting her up as well." In Jesus' blessed healing name, AMEN.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I pray daily for your comfort and your peace, God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet Mandy,
    I never had the honor to met you & your husband, however I feel I know you very well...you see I am your late Uncle Johnny's lady & when I met your Mother Judy we had an immediate Sisterhood. She spoke of you with much love & admiration... I am sorry we have not met, but I do know that even though we haven't I hold you near & dear in my heart & prayers...May Gods loving arms continue to hold you close & know you have a Auntie who loves you dearly.
    God Bless my dear,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom speaks so lovingly & fondly of you!! Thank you so much for lifting us up & holding us close!
      Much love!!

      Delete
  12. Dear Mandy and Jay, You continue to be in our most fervent and tender prayers for strength, comfort and peace. Thank you for sharing your intimate journey with so many so that we, too, experience God's grace and goodness through you! Your expression of faith has reached many! May God's blessings be upon you and Jay continually. We send our love, Bob and Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it a reclining chair in your shower, because to me that sounds like heaven!!! LOL You are such a inspiration and I know that this is not easy on you. I think of, and pray for, you every single day. Your faith in Jesus knows no boundaries and I know that you touch every single life you come into contact with in a big way. I continue to be in awe of your gracious handling of this situation when I know you want to punch something (JAY!?!?!?! Never!!! LOL) sometimes. If I could carry this burden for you and with you I would, but I also know you would never allow me to. Jesus is all you need and who better to help you with this load. Love, hugs, prayers from NM. (and maybe some giggles at the thought of you chasing Jay around the house in your PJs with your walker while the dogs park uncontrollably at the choas). LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently I have no idea how to work this blog thing. LOL

      Delete
    2. I totally knew it was you before you added your name!!! I adore you & am so grateful for you!! I need to ask if I can get the lazy boy for my shower...& a tv.. Then I'd never get out!! Love you❤️❤️

      Delete
  14. I recently heard someone one share how her spouse often asks at the end of the day "what did you do today that required big faith"? Your post shares your answer and that of Jay's. You are richly bessing God with BIG faith every day.
    With tears of mixed feelings,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mandy - we've not met but your mother-in-law Lois and I attend the same church in Mesa. She and I share hugs and and encouragement along with some tears as she shares with me how you are such a special daughter-in-law to her - you are so very close and she loves you so very much as a daughter. My daughter was called to her heavenly home in 1993 at the age of 27 following a double lung transplant ... the path is not easy for Moms and I want to be by her side if nothing more than to give her a hug of His love and caring. Lois is a beautiful Woman of God. My prayers are with you Mandy and with your husband Jay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for being there for Lois. She is a precious woman & I adore her. Please continue loving on her as often as you can!! Thank you for your prayers & encouragement!!

      Delete
  16. Dear Amanda, I am terribly sorry you are experiencing this journey. I do not know you, but one of my dear friends is Leann Covey Mccusker. I read this blog on her page. I pray you and your husband have peace,and healing,and be held close in Gods warm embrace. You are brave and I'm in awe of how much you made me,a stranger,feel as much love through your writing. God bless you.
    Dominique from Austin Tx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Amanda, I am terribly sorry you are experiencing this journey. I do not know you, but one of my dear friends is Leann Covey Mccusker. I read this blog on her page. I pray you and your husband have peace,and healing,and be held close in Gods warm embrace. You are brave and I'm in awe of how much you made me,a stranger,feel as much love through your writing. God bless you.
    Dominique from Austin Tx

    ReplyDelete